thanks to my wacked out medicines, i tend to have crazy cravings for very particular foods. i'll go from sushi to oreos to pickles in a span of thirty minutes (and no, i'm not pregnant). one of my go-to restaurants that i tend to crave a lot is olive garden... now some of you foodies might turn up your noses to this chain restaurant, but i happen to have fallen in love with one of their soups, zuppa toscana. it's like the italian version of chicken soup - need i say more?
it's creamy goodness always makes me feel better, and ever since my mom found this recipe, i've been making it quite often. and girl, if there is bacon in anything you know i'm down.
1 lb. ground italian sausage (half spicy, half sweet)
1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 large diced white onion
4 tbsp. bacon pieces
2 tbsp. garlic puree
10 cups water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb. diced russet potatoes
1/4 bunch of kale
3 tbsp. kosher salt
parmigiano reggiano cheese
1. sauté italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. in the same pan, sauté bacon, onions, and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the onions are soft.
3. add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
4. add the diced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
5. add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
6. stir in the sausage, kale, and salt. let all heat through, top with cheese, and serve! buon appetito!
:: xoxo ::