Wednesday, April 4, 2012

how my prayer life caught on fire

We all know the story of Moses and the burning bush. He was roaming around in a field… minding his own business… when out of nowhere, BAM! God decides to become a pyro. He had a message for Moses, but first, God had to get his attention. In a lot of ways I equate my story to Moses and his burning bush. Many of you know that I’ve been fighting cancer for almost eight years now, but you may be surprised to know that I’m glad it happened in the first place.

I was complacent for many years with a ‘King’ for a father like Moses (feel free to laugh at that little joke) and was very involved with church like any good preacher’s daughter would be. My involvement wasn’t any indication of my walk though. God had to get my attention.

Now you might think cancer is a pretty sucky burning bush, but it brought stubborn little me down to my knees. It striped things from my life that helped make room for the presence of the Holy Spirit. It made me blatantly aware that I wasn’t in control, and I needed to be in constant communication with the Lord. My new prayer life was suddenly on fire.

Learning to praise God while I am in the desert of my life where it continues to storm and flood with no sign of milk and honey has been rough, but my fire for life “does not burn up,” like it says in Exodus 3:3. I’ve learned you must start all of your prayers with a spirit of thanks and end with an “I love you too,” because the Lord never releases you from His caring grip.


Grey Street (my sunday school class at Second Baptist), as a community, has also truly blessed me by hosting numerous prayer nights to storm the gates of heaven on my behalf. I was so overwhelmed by the shear number of people supporting me that I came to feel almost guilty for not being able to really give them anything in return that would show my utmost gratitude. But the Lord reminded me that I, too, could pray for them. Being surrounded by prayer warriors that proudly dawn those turquoise or pink bracelets has helped show me how I can be just as much of a prayer warrior.

Now I still don’t know what God is calling me to do with this challenge in my life, but what I do know is that He has my attention and I’ve said, “Here I am, Lord.” Because you see, I was roaming around… minding my own business… when out of nowhere, BAM! God decided to become a pyro.

:: xoxo ::


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails